Dear Alumni and Friends,
Join us for our all-alumni reunion and celebration of the 10-year anniversary of the Frederick Albert Sutton Building on April 5-6, 2019. This is the perfect opportunity to come back to campus, reconnect with the department, and see former classmates and faculty. If you haven’t been back to visit recently, we know you will be very impressed by our students and facility.
Check back here for updates.
Below you will find:
- Calendar of Events
- Sign up for Field Trips
- Hotel Accommodations
- Parking Information
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
Friday APRIL 5: OPEN HOUSE
6:00-9:00 pm Over two dozen, fun, hands-on activities throughout the Sutton Building highlighting research being conducted by department faculty and students, including a scavenger hunt with prizes
7:00-8:00 pm Featured presentation: “We are Earth Walking: How chemistry links all living things to their place & environment” by Dr. Gabe Bowen
Saturday APRIL 6: 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
9:00-10:00 am Continental breakfast, student research poster session, and archival displays
10:00-11:00 am Welcome presentations by Dean- Darryl Butt, Chair- Thure Cerling, and Dr. Marjorie Chan
11:00 am-1:00 pm Catered lunch, building tours, student poster session, and archival displays
Noon-5:00 pm Region Fieldtrips (see below for details)
To aid us in planning for food and other important arrangements, please contact Shanna Futral at email@example.com or 801-581-7162 to RSVP for the celebration.
SIGN UP FOR FIELD TRIPS (reservations have closed):
All afternoon field trips are free. Partners and children are welcome! RSVP is required and spots will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Each participant will be required to sign a waiver the day of the trip. Trips may be cancelled due to insufficient registration or the weather. Trips may not last the full scheduled time; it will depend on the weather and the wishes of the participants. Participants are welcome to drive their own vehicles and leave early if they wish.
- Antelope Island @ Noon-5:00 pm, moderate walking: Visit Antelope Island State Park, with stops at the Visitor Center, and Bridger Bay. See the island's geology as well as Great Salt Lake ooids and microbialites. Meet at the FASB loading dock at noon; transportation provided.
- Natural History Museum of Utah (NHMU) @ 1:00-5:00 pm, easy walking in doors: Explore and go behind the scenes with a staff
member. You will see many of the fantastic dinosaur finds from southern Utah. Meet
at 1pm at the NHMU front desk (ticket line); you will need to provide your own transportation.
- Dr. Randall Irmis, Chief Curator, will give 15-minute "behind the scenes" tours every half hour starting at 1pm until 2:30pm. Each tour is limited to the first 15 guests to meet in the Canyon Room for each tour.
- Wasatch Front @ 1:00-5:00 pm, moderate walking: Visit geologic sites along Utah's Wasatch front from Red Butte Canyon to Gilbert Park (mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon). Learn about recent research on the quartz monzonite of the Little Cottonwood Stock. Meet at the FASB loading dock at 1pm; transportation provided.
- Limekiln Gulch @ 1:00-5:00 pm, moderate hiking: Look for marine fossils with our invertebrate paleontologist, at a locality on the north side of the U campus. Meet at the FASB loading dock at 1pm; transportation provided.
Guests are responsible for all expenses. Rates below do not include tax or incidental charges.
- University Guest House (on campus): Group name "Sutton 10th Anniversary"; $140/night; www.universityguesthouse.com; 888-416-4075. They will honor this rate as long as they have rooms avaible.
- Marriott Salt Lake City University Park (on campus): Group name "Sutton 10th Anniversary"; $129/night;book online: https://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=Sutton%2010th%20Anniversary%5Eslcup%60ggaggaa%60129.00%60USD%60false%604%604/4/19%604/7/19%603/14/19&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes; 1-800-228-9290 . This rate expires March 14.
- Sheraton Salt Lake City (downtown SLC): Group name "University of Utah Alumni April 2019 Meeting"; $99/night; book online: https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1548459649947&key=GRP&app=resvlink; 888-627-8152, if calling the code for a double is UNAUNAC and for a king is UNAUNAG. This rate expires March 3.
FREE ON-CAMPUS SHUTTLE:
Shuttles operate Monday through Friday from approximately 6:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Red, blue, and green lines drop off at the northeast corner of the Sutton Building. Red and blue lines go to the University Guest House and the green line goes to the Marriott.
Find a shuttle on the live tracker: http://www.uofubus.com/
ON-CAMPUS PARKING INFORMATION:
FREE PARKING at parking structure at 100 S. 1455 E. (directly west of the Sutton Building) or at Merrill Engineering parking lot (directly north of the Sutton Building).
Additional parking in paid lot south of William Browning Building and east of the A. Ray Olpin University Union.
Please note that Red, White, and You Day is also taking place April 6. You may want to arrive early in order to have enough time to find a parking spot.